A friendly reminder for sending in your entries by Friday September 30, 2011 Veggie/ Fruit A Month September-Cauliflower hosted here.
This is an offshoot of a previous recipe, Gobi Mussallam easier with a direct baking method. For textural difference, softer florets, use this recipe, Spicy Baked Cauliflower Florets. This goes to the Veggie/Fruit A Month, September -Cauliflower, started by Priya of Mharo Rajasthan's Recipes.
1 Medium sized cauliflower.
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder [ or more according to taste/preference]
1/2 tsp of Garam Masala
2-3 tbsp Ghee/Clarified Butter or vegetable oil
2 tbsps of butter or ghee
Dried Red Chillies-2
1 tbsp of ghee/oil
Fresh chopped coriander- 2tbsps
1. Cauliflower steamed for 5 minutes and marinade drizzled only on one side.
2. Marinade drizzled only from the other side.
Steamed for 10 minutes; turn the cauliflower upside down and make slits from the middle and drizzle the
Baked at 475F for 20 -25 minutes
- Mix the turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and salt along with the oil/ghee.
- Steam the Cauliflower for 5 minutes.[ There will major difference in texture if you steam for a longer time; if you prefer 'softer' florets, steam for 10 minutes.]
- In a deep pan, fill with water till it comes up to the steamer pan. Remove the hard stem of the cauliflower and trim away the stem as far as possible without breaking the florets. Wash thoroughly and pat dry.
- Steam for 5 minutes.
- Take the cauliflower and pat dry.
- Turn over the cauliflower and gently make slits along the edge of the stem.
- Drizzle the masala mix into the slits.[In this recipe I have not poured over/on top of the cauliflower. Both methods work.]
- Dot the top of the cauliflower with butter or drizzle with ghee.
- Pre-heat the oven to 475F
- Place the cauliflower on a baking dish/foil lined baking tray
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes until golden brown
- Squeeze lime juice over the cauliflower or serve as individual wedges.
Served with the bhuna sauce on the side.
Heat 1 tbsp of ghee to smoking point
Temper cumin seeds, red chilies and pour over the cauliflower. Sprinkle with finely chopped coriander leaves and fresh mint sprigs
This works as a flavourful addition to salads.
Or as between a fold of naan.