Chole recipes have been tricky: there is always a slight variation in the recipe from one time to the other. For me, 'tartness' is almost always the variable. This was a make-ahead recipe during the weekend: several things happening. This recipe, with onions, tomatoes and ginger comes through in a gorgeous chocolate hue without tea leaves. The recipe is taken from Anita; thankyou! Here is another favourite but one without onions or tomatoes.
The Chickpea recipes from the sub-continent freeze well. It could be assembled in many different stages. Freeze:
- the raw, soaked chickpeas.
- the cooked chickpeas
- the ground and fried masala
- the cooked curry!
Couple of notes:
- Roma tomatoes I used were not tart enough. I would use another variety and/or increase the amount slightly- 1/2 cup.
- Lime Wedges used individually. You could also squeeze a tbsp or two of lime juice in the Chole.
INGREDIENTS1.5 Cups of dried chickpeas,
1 Cup of chopped, tart tomatoes
1 Cup of finely chopped onions
1 inch of ginger, chopped
2-3 green chillies for garnish
Mint leaves, for garnish
NOTE: For the Powdered Masala: Yields 4 tbsps Recipe Needs only 2 tbsps
2 tbsps of coriander
2 tsps of cumin seeds
2 cloves of black cardamom
1/2 tsp Anardana powder [ pomegranate seeds powder]
Dry roast the above spices on medium low heat, powder and use only 2 tbsps for the recipe here.
Salt and Spice
Punjabi Chole served with Puris and fried green chillies, sprinkled with salt and asafoetida.
- Soak the Dried Chickpeas in cold water overnight/ 8 hours. Rinse in several changes of water. Cook the Chole with a pinch of soda bicarbonate. Keep aside.
- Heat 2-3 tbsps of oil. Saute the onions until pink. Add the chopped ginger. Then the chopped tomatoes.
- Bhunao/ Saute/Fry the masala until the oil separates. Sprinkle with water or add more oil if the mixture catches at the bottom. Add the garam masala and fry for some more time.
- Alternately you could also fry the masala on medium low for about 20 minutes using the same method/bhunao.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and water according to your desired consistency
- Simmer for 15 minutes
- Squeeze 1-2 tbsp of lime juice-optional.
- Garnish with mint leaves and/or coriander leaves/green chillies/ red onion slices with lime juice and salt.